Tuesday, October 2, 2012

tradition!

Three years ago around this time, my friend Taylor sent me an email on a Thursday that said, "My husband and I are running a 10K tomorrow night! Join us!" I likely laughed out loud, and then went into the kitchen to eat an Oreo. Or three.

Two years ago, after a year of living in Palo Alto and learning how awesome the Moonlight Run really is, I ran the 10K with Ty and his siblings. It was my second ever 10K (this was my first one), and I was obnoxiously hyper and energetic after running it. I kept saying to Ty, "I want to do that again!! Let's do it again!" He mostly just wanted a sandwich after running 6.2 miles. The race is such a huge community event here with a great turnout (and half our ward is there). There is food and music and free stuff (!!), not to mention the course itself is beautiful. It's right along the Baylands, by moonlight (they do it on the Friday closest to a full moon every September). And there's something soothing about running a race in the dark, sort of anonymously, right along the water with that lovely harvest moon smiling at you.

Last year, I was three days overdue with T, but determined to make an appearance at the Moonlight Run. An alarmingly large number of girls in our ward were pregnant, so we made alternate shirts that said Moonlight Waddle (the girl in the blue shirt below is wearing the original race shirt), and faithfully waddled our way through the 5K. And we had a great time. And I went into labor 6 hours later.



This year, despite doing little to no running during the first, oh... 8 months of T's life, I decided to do the 10K again. And I'm so glad I did. Again, it energized me and I enjoyed every minute. It almost makes me want to make running a regular part of my life, and then I remember that most "runners" actually run up hills and have stamina in elevations higher than sea level. If I hit even the slightest bit of incline, I want to fall down in self pity like a dramatic "injured" soccer player. Also, my lungs stop inflating and deflating on their own past 100 feet above sea level. So... maybe I'll just keep this running habit an annual thing for now. 


6 comments:

miss said...

I love the Moonlight Run! And running in slc is just as fun as at sea level, believe it or not. Wait--that was a lie.

Shauna said...

I have a question. If you have never run in your life before (and by never, I mean for a few months on the track behind Helaman Halls), can your body even make a 10K??? This is a serious question, would one even be able to make it? Or would one just die of embarrassment having to be airlifted off the pavement. I would like to run something SOMEday, but I don't like running and plainly it just scares me (as in I will just look like an idiot).

Sarah said...

Way to go! I'm beyond impressed that you can just decide to do a 10k without regularly running and not die. You look so cute doing it too! :)

Saskia said...

There's a big student-run relay race here in Holland that stretches from one university campus over to another. You run in three shifts: night, morning, afternoon. I've done the night and morning shift before and the night shift really is the best.

Shelise said...

It sounds so fun. I'll be honest, I never really gained a love for running until last year when I did a c25k program. I got to the point that I LOVED running and kinda craved it. I felt the best I had in years. Then I became pregnant and was on the couch for 3 months straight. Then I got huge. You get the picture. I just started the c25k program about a month ago and am loving running once again. Seeing you in that last picture makes me want to do a run. Kyle and I are actually planning to do a half next summer/fall. By the way, you look absolutely fantastic!

J said...

I am absolutely devastated to have missed it this year! I need to hear all about it! I loved waddling with you last year and can't wait for next years run! I agree- this race is absolutely amazing!