Tuesday, November 13, 2012

pumpkin pecan granola

Trader Joe's carries pumpkin granola, so I bought a bag last week and gotta admit to being a little disappointed. So I decided to create my own instead. I consider this a success mostly because when I asked Ty what he wanted for dinner, he went into the kitchen and poured himself a bowl of this and was happy as a clam. And also, because T decided to show off his mad chewing skills (thanks to 4 brand new, painfully-acquired molars) and ate a solid cup of this stuff, signing "more" all the while.


My go-to granola recipe can be found here. This is the pumpkinified version of that, but I am also terrible at writing recipes down, so this might need to be tweaked a bit. But here you go:

Pumpkin Pecan Granola
makes ~10 cups

4-5 cups rolled oats
2 cups roughly chopped pecans
1/2 cup sliced almonds*
1 cup oat bran
1 cup dry powdered milk
2 tsp salt
3/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup honey
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 T vanilla
2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp nutmeg

(I only used cinnamon and nutmeg because I don't have pumpkin pie spice. I'm sure this would be a lot better with pumpkin pie spice.)
*I also added a handful of sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, and some 8 grain cereal mix that I had on hand, simply because Ty loves some serious crunch in his granola. And I probably would have added more almonds, but that's all we had. See how scientific this recipe is?

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large mixing bowl, mix the oats, pecans, oat bran, salt, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg (the dry ingredients). In another small bowl, mix powdered milk, oil, honey, pumpkin, and vanilla (the wet ingredients) until combined. Add the wet ingredients to the large bowl and combine all ingredients. I usually do this with a wooden spoon, then give up on the spoon and eventually use my hands.

Spread the mixture out over two cookie sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake for 15-20 minutes, depending on the darkness of your cookie sheets, stirring partway through. Granola should be lightly golden and fragrant. 

The granola will be soft when it comes out of the oven but will eventually harden as it cools. Let it cool at room temperature and then put it in an air-tight container. It should keep for a few weeks, but good luck with that. 

3 comments:

Shelise said...

Thanks for this. Obviously this time of year I'm obsessed with pumpkin and make everything I can think of with pumpkin in it. I love how in the picture it looks chunky. I like that.

Noelle said...

yum. thanks for posting this. Cool picture! :)

Cheri said...

Oh my yumness!! Must try. :)