Saturday, December 29, 2012

5 year journal

I hope everyone's Christmases were wonderful. Sounds like the majority of the country got a beautiful White Christmas, or at least White Day After Christmas!

This is sort of random, but I want to tell you about my 5 year journal. As much as I would love to sit down at the end of each day and write out my thoughts and feelings in depth, I simply don't make the time. But this journal lets me write just a paragraph about the day so that I've recorded the most important things. There is a page for each day of the year with room for five paragraphs, with the idea that you'll be able to reflect back on previous years. I am just finishing my third year (I've only missed about 10 days in three years), and it's fascinating to look back at what T was doing on this date last year, or the fact that two New Year's Eves ago, I found out I was pregnant. My parents both keep 10 year journals (which I believe they're about 5 or 6 years into), and it's fun to get the occasional email from my dad, "Four years ago today, you were accepted into nursing school - congrats!" I've also inadvertently used it as a food journal, and sometimes I'll look back at previous years and think, "Wow! I had totally forgotten that strawberry summer cake existed!" And a few hours later, I'm taking one to Ty and his team at the hospital.

I meant to post this before Christmas, because I think it would make a great Christmas gift, but there are still a few days before January 1st when the journal starts. I'm obviously not getting any compensation for this and I don't have any ulterior motive other than when I tell people about my journal, they always wish they knew about it before a new year began. You can do a quick search on Amazon and find a plethora of these, although in two years when I've finished the one I'm working on now, this one and this one are the ones I'm looking at next.

Anyway, if any of your Christmas gifts bombed and you want to make up for it, think about one of these!

5 comments:

Janssen said...

I LOVE the idea of this. Off to check out Amazon.

Jess said...

I just saw one of these in Barnes and Noble on Friday and it looked like a great idea. Think I'll go get one. :)

Michelle Collett said...

That sounds like a cool journal. I love looking back through my journals. Well, some of them. The high school ones are a bit depressing. The middle school ones was really funny. The elementary school ones have really bad artwork in them. :) Was there a point to this comment?

Oh yeah, I loved your last sentence. "If any of your Christmas presents bombed . . . " That made me crack up. :) Thank you for the early morning laugh!

Cathy said...

I actually got one of these for Christmas and I'm so excited to use it! I definitely don't have the time to write a lot each day, so I'm glad to hear that it's totally manageable and doable to write a little each day!

Courtney said...

Just posted about these myself. Love this idea, and I just might have to start one. :-)