Saturday, January 26, 2013

we've moved!

If you know more about me than that my name is Becca and that I am female, then you know that there is little I obsess more about than my son's sleep. Getting him to sleep as well as he does now (2-3 hour nap during the day, 12-13 hours through the night) has been the result of an insane amount of work and consistency and unhealthy obsession and house arrest. He has never been that kid that just crashes when he needs to. But the whole family thrives when T sleeps well, and he's a dreamy little sleeper now, so it's been worth the work.

So, needless to say, when we brought this alert, easily-woken baby home from the hospital, it was made obvious pretty quickly (like within 3 months) that for any of us to get any sleep, he'd have to have his own room. He made it clear that if other people were to be sleeping in his room, there would have to be a party going on all the time. But don't expect him to bring the drinks.

However, with Palo Alto apartment prices are the way they are, you don't just go out and find a new place to live because you find yourself wanting a second bedroom. Especially when you're working with a resident's salary, and not a salary typical of the area. Palo Alto is kind of Manhattanish in this respect, but with a far less cool skyline, far fewer taxis, and much better weather. So we did what several people in our ward had done before, and I'm sure several more to come: we moved our bed into the family room. Yes, we did.

Every time I had to embarrassingly explain to a guest why our bed was in the family room, I reminded myself that there are people all over America and throughout the world that sleep entire families in spaces much smaller than ours. And to be honest, it really wasn't that bad, and we simply didn't have another choice. We also love our old apartment. It didn't have a washer/dryer, garbage disposal, or dishwasher, and the heater was so loud it was impossible to sleep through, but we loved its cozy charm and most especially, our wonderful neighbors.

When we decided that the best place for Tyler to do his fellowship and PhD was here at Stanford, we decided to just have faith that we'd figure something out about housing. We'd been on several BMR (below market rate) apartment waiting lists for over 3 years, and knew that our days of sleeping in the family room wouldn't last forever. About a month ago, some friends posted to our ward's list serve that they were moving and that their 2 bedroom, extremely inexpensive (for the area) apartment would be available, so we naturally pounced on it. This place is a little older, also doesn't have any of the amenities listed above (I guess I'm trying to go a decade without a dishwasher - half way there!), and is on a very busy street, BUT it has two bedrooms and the price is right (and it has a fireplace!). And we LOVE it. I feel as if this apartment fell out of heaven and into our laps -- we feel very blessed to be here.

I will post pictures once we're all settled (I know, I've said that about the past three apartments - but I really will this time), but I set to work painting and refurbishing. My sweet friend Cristy spent probably 10 hours painting with me. I'm putting a lot into this place because in a sense, it feels like our "first home." No, we don't own it, but it's the first place Ty and I have lived together where I feel like we could stay indefinitely.

All of that could have been summed up by saying, "Hey! We've moved! Contact me if you want to update your address list!" But you got the full story instead.

6 comments:

Saskia said...

My bed is in the living room too, and I totally how it isn't really that bad but you'd love to have an actual bedroom.

So congratulations on the new apartment, and I look forward to the pictures!

Hugh said...

Hooray for space!

We shuffled Asher's crib back and forth from the kitchen to our bedroom every day for the first year or two of his life.

Lizzie said...

Congrats on your big move! Very exciting. Palo Alto seems like such a great place to live.

t.t.turner said...

Hooray for your own room! Can't wait to see the place and that darling crib! That's awesome that they'll let you paint. I hope we are able to sneak down to see you guys sometime this year.

Shelise said...

That's so exciting. I can't wait to see pictures. Its nice to know that someone else out there besides me doesn't have a washer/dryer. The dishwasher doesn't bother me a bit, but oh how I long for the day when I will have a washer and dryer IN my house.

Michelle Collett said...

Congratulations on the move! I am glad you found a place that fit so many of your criterium! And that's so great that you even got to stay in the same ward.