Thursday, October 24, 2013

happy october!

I'm one of those obnoxious people that sops up all things pumpkin every fall. The lotion, the smoothies, the cream cheese, the ice cream, the bread -- anything with pumpkin in it (or, let's be honest, nutmeg and clove), I love. October is such a happy month. Every year I listen to my autumn mix through all of September and October and try and breathe in every minute of this short-lived season. Palo Alto has been gifting us with some wonderfully foggy mornings and temperate afternoons. Just chilly enough to pull on a hoodie, but not so much you have to go hunting for that one pair of shoes with which you can wear socks. I'm also on my second quart of egg nog.

T is in a particularly wonderful season of his own, and I just had to share some of his antics. Two years old absolutely has to be the best age. He talks enough that we get what he's saying, but is still little enough to say nonsensical and adorable things. He'll ask for a graham cracker, and after receiving it will hold it high in the air away from Ody and say, "Don't even think about it!" Don't ask me how he learned to say this. He has started requesting certain songs to be sung to him throughout the day and before he goes to sleep. It always surprises me when he asks for one that he hasn't heard in weeks, or when he starts "singing" a line in the middle of the song. Sometimes he'll wax particularly musical and sing a descant of Happy Birthday over our singing of I Love to See the Temple (his current favorite). He knows an unusual amount of animals for so little a person (think narwhal, hedgehog, barracuda, snowy egret...), can gleefully and proudly count to ten, and can identify the letters L, T, X, Q, and Z. I'm not sure what's so compelling about those five, but he loves spotting them everywhere.

The days are long and tiring and I find myself inventing errands so that we can be doing something until the exact moment that Ty gets home to relieve me for a minute. This child never stops moving, inquiring, expressing, climbing. His energy is relentless, but so is his enthusiasm, and I wouldn't have it any other way. It's amazing how we'll race race race in the evenings to get him fed, bathed, changed, and into bed, then we'll breathe a huge sigh of relief that we've been given the energy to make it through another day with this boy. Then ironically, 30 seconds later, we're aching to go pick him up again and tell him just one more time how wonderful he is and how much we love him. We feel like some pretty phenomenally lucky parents. He is beautiful and bright, and a gift.


A running update for you: I of course had to go and injure myself. I have an IT band injury, which is very lame and a bit debilitating, but I'm working with a physical therapist to keep myself as much on track as possible. My marathon will definitely be slower than I want it to be (did I mention I'm doing a marathon in a few weeks? No? Well, I am.), but I'm determined to do it, even if it's ugly. Tonight as I sit in front of my computer finishing off a pint of [you guessed it] pumpkin ice cream, I'm not feeling so hopeful that it will be enjoyable. But despite the setback, I have trained long and hard to run well. So, we'll see how it goes. Positive vibes are appreciated!

4 comments:

Saskia said...

Your kid is so beautiful. I'd like him in my future family, please, along with a combination of Janssen's kids, since they seem to be absolutely adorable too. (This sounds creepier than I mean it.)

t.t.turner said...

I really want to know more about your fall playlist. T is so, so darling and so brilliant (well, hello he has some incredibly intelligent genes!). It kills me that we can't have regular play dates with these boys, they would be two peas in a pod. I send lots of good vibes your way every morning and night. Now, off to make some pumpkin bread, because after reading this post I can't fight th temptation any longer. Hang in there. Love you.

Michelle Collett said...

I have loved the pumpkin patch T pictures you have posted. So cute!

And you are right, there are so many things about his age that are really fun. :)

Anonymous said...

VIBE...VIBE...VIBE.

Those are positive vibes, I promise.

I admire your commitment! You are my hero!

Dad J.