Sunday, March 2, 2014

lately

Thanks for the congrats, commiseration, and consolation on my last post. About an hour after writing that post I came across this research article about how first born children have higher IQs and are generally more successful because they get so much extra attention from Mom and Dad (yes, even years after subsequent children have come), so of course that sent me spiraling into a mess of guilt. "Ty! Our other children will never go to college!" He assured me that most non-first children I know have turned out alright. I guess it's my pregnant duty to stress about ridiculous things.

Regardless! The past few months have been busy busy busy. Ty started Impossible Rotation #1 in January, followed quickly (and, we found out later, against-the-rulesly) by Impossible Rotation #2 in February. Apparently the person who put together his schedule didn't realize these two rotations are not supposed to go together. Did you think that nine years into his medical training things would be getting a little easier? Not so, apparently. These were by far the hardest two months we've had yet. The demands placed on him were, frankly, ridiculous. His weeks were 80 hours, often crossing into 90+, and he had the pager 24/6. It was not at all uncommon for him to go to work at 6:30, come home at 10 or 11 PM, then be paged at 2 AM and have to back into the hospital until 3 or 4. Then wake up the next day and do it all over again. For two straight months. And all while studying for the mock boards he took last week. Needless to say, it was great fun for the whole family.

Healthy or not, mine and T's response (at Ty's urging) was to fly the coop. I stocked the fridge full of meals for the inmate, and T and I spent a week with my sister in Las Vegas in January. The first few days were full of fun and food and more happy cousin time than T knew what to do with. Unfortunately, my nephew Daxton (who is a sweet and vivacious three year-old!) had a brain shunt malfunction while we were there, and had to have two major brain surgeries in the course of a few days. I was glad we were there to be able to help out in whatever small way we could, but it was so sad to see him go through that again, and to see my sister have to deal with the worry and sleeplessness that comes from living in the hospital.

Poor Kirsi had had about enough with T by day 2. He didn't get the hint.
Daxton had to have an external brain shunt for a few days while they tested out a different procedure. It didn't end up working, so they had to give him a new internal brain shunt on the opposite side. Neurosurgery is such a mystery to me.
We came home to California for a few weeks, assumed Ty still lived there since the granola was slowly disappearing, and then took off to Utah and Seattle in February. We stayed with my sister in Springville, where, again, T almost died from cousin joy overload. This kid loves his cousins, especially the teenagers. For reasons unrelated to my visit, my sister from Vegas and her family came up to Utah (with an almost fully-recovered Daxton!), so all of us girls were able to be together under one roof for a few days. There was way too much food, not nearly enough sleep, lots of Olympics cheering (T came in during ice skating once and said, "Let's watch football!"), and a lot of missing my folks. It was perfect. 

We got to have dinner with Ty's family while we were in Utah, where Missy and I compared bumps. She's due 6 weeks before me. Her baby will come out doing Jillian Michaels workouts. Mine will come out demanding Cafe Rio. 


My three sisters! It makes me sad that it's such a rarity for us four to be together at the same time. Each time it happens it's precious to me (and photobomb compliments of my nephew, Josh). 

We flew straight from Utah to Seattle. This trip was my Christmas present from Ty, who knows both how much I love Seattle and how much I love Tally (who we stayed with). We had the perfect balance of seeing the sights, having downtime with our little boys, eating amazing food, and watching more Olympics. We even got to sneak up to beautiful Bellingham to visit my old roommate and longtime friend Noelle and her sweet kiddos. Seattle graced us with some glorious weather and just enough rain to convince me that it does, indeed, rain there (each of the five previous times I had been, I had never seen so much as a cloud in the sky). What a wonderful week.

Each time I visit Seattle I come away more and more starry-eyed. Evenings like this certainly didn't help.

Traveling with a toddler is obviously never relaxing, especially when said toddler is too excited to sleep. He's too big for a pack n play (and can crawl out easily anyway), so he and I had to share a bed in both Vegas and Utah. This is something we've never done before and it sometimes took an hour or two for him to fall asleep at night, with me next to him making sure he didn't get up 100 times. He eventually got the hang of it, and although I'm glad he doesn't sleep with us, I have to admit it was pretty sweet when each night he'd want to fall asleep with our foreheads touching and holding hands. Gosh, I love this kid. And even though 5:30 is too early to be awake, I couldn't help but melt just a little bit when he'd roll over, get an excited look on his face and say, "Mama, I all done sleeping. Go play with cousins?"

All the fatigue must have caught up to him because he miraculously slept on the plane ride home. That, or he was only hours away from getting his first stomach flu (yay!). I'm just glad he waited till he was home instead of getting sick on the plane. I don't even really want to think about that.




Palo Alto sweetly greeted us with sunny blue skies, 70 degree weather, and enough blossoms to send me to the store in search of Cadbury eggs (I found some! And the first bag is gone!). What a glorious place we live in.


Thanks to everyone who hosted us, took time out of their lives to see us, and who made us feel so at home when we were so tired and emotionally spent after Ty's rotations and months of single parenting. I hope we stay put for a while since traveling is so exhausting, but we were so lucky to see so many wonderful friends and family members. 

4 comments:

Saskia said...

Glad you guys managed to stay sane and have some fun in the process!

My mom has had multiple brain surgeries and brain shunts, and it's incredibly scary when it's an adult, let alone when it's your three year old...so sorry to hear about your nephew!

Anonymous said...

So glad you came to visit us. We had a great time with you two!

Still feeling sad for Ty and his extreme schedule. Didn't know what to tell him. He is brave. You two are probably more brave!

Love you lots and lots,

Dad J.

miss said...

Ha! You're so funny. It was fun to see you while you were here! And I'm so glad our babes are going to be so close in age!

Mame said...

I know this is too late now, but next time maybe you can slip T a little Melatonin to help get to bed I. Super exciting situations. Had helped us out a few times with Jacer!!

PS you look great. And you will love baby #2 with all your heart. Just remember how important teaching T about family is. That might help ease the transition. And remember that IQ and "successful careers" are not what is really important :) (which I know you know. Just a helpful reminder!)